Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Windhoek and Katutura


The crew spent Monday morning on the “Katutura Quest.”  Groups of 3 students went with a college-aged guide to different locations in Katutura (what was the black township during apartheid and still mainly an area of black Namibians).  They started their tour with a ride in a taxi to their location (an orphanage, old age home, state hospital, vocational training center, arts center, church outreach , and a clinic).  Here are some of their thoughts –

Lindsey U: I am blessed to have this experience.  Windhoek is such a beautiful city.  The air is clean and the sky is blue.  The moon and stars are like no other.  I hope more people get to see the chance to witness a piece of beauty in Namibia.

Maya N:  I really love Katutura.  It’s beautiful and I’m enjoying every moment.

Lauren K: Having the opportunity to explore Katutura with a local was by far the best way to see it.  This will definitely be a highlight of the trip!

Lauren G:  Hi Mom and Dad!  Yesterday I got to go to an art center in the Katutura region.  Learning about their fashion design department was a perfect way to tie this trip to my major. 

Ashley B:  Going to Katutura and immersing myself in Namibian culture has been so eye opening and truly the experience of a lifetime.  Everyone has been so friendly and welcoming.  I’m loving every second of my time in Africa.    PS I love and miss you Mom & Dad.

“I want you to take away that the people of Katutura are friendly”  Katurura guide Joann

Rachel B:  It was easy to judge Katutura from just looking but visiting there and getting to know the people changed my views.  You can’t be quick to judge.

Stephanie F:  It’s unbelievable to see the disparities here among the Namibian people and how obvious the racial division is.  Those who say racism does not exist here, need to open their eyes and take a look from a different perspective...maybe try visiting Katutura and experience their way of life there and then tell me if racism is present in the country. 

Samantha B:  It is easy to judge the people of Katutura just by looking at it from the van window, but getting to spend the day there made me realize that the people of Katutura are some of the most friendly people I have met.

Emily C: My time here in Namibia has been wonderful.  It is great to learn the history first and then to get to know the people.  As a class we have had very intimate conversations about the subject of racism.  Something that stuck with me is that we need to form relationships so that we can call out when someone is being racist.  If we could acknowledge that statement and say I’m sorry, please explain how I was racist.  This would create the conversation.  Telling someone that you did not intend to be racist does not have an effect on the hurt if causes, so do not excuse it but discuss it.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment